Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Home Sweet Home


So for the past week and a half, I've had the worst pain in my neck. Literally. It’s a tightness on my right side, that turned into the feeling of a ligament being crushed. I think it all started from sleeping wrong, but as the time has progressed I think it’s also stress induced. A friend of mine recently told me, as many friends have thought for years, I’m sure, but she told me I am really hard on myself. I even asked her to repeat herself when she said it. LOL.

Truth is, I don’t think I’m hard on myself. But my heart is deceitful and desperately sick [Jeremiah 17:9] so I know not to trust it. So counter-cultural isn't it? The fact that the Lord says that our hearts are deceitful, and our culture tells us to do what our hearts say, “is this guy right for me?” “Listen to your heart.” But, as many, many Lifetime movies will show you, your heart often lies to you! Tori Spelling in “Mother may I sleep with Danger” comes to mind. LOL. My mom was a Lifetime junky okay, don’t judge! LOL

My heart tells me I’m not hard on myself. It also tells me I am doing nothing wrong before my Holy God. It tells me to indulge in sin and to live it up, cause you only live once! It says to eat, drink, and be merry. My Spirit says, stop. It tells me that whether I eat or drink, do all things to the glory of God. [1 Corinthians 10:31] This morning I was enjoying some peace and quiet, which in a full time students life is a RARE event, however it was quite exquisite and peaceful, thank you Jesus!!

Anyway, I got to read 1 John, and I am very particular about John. I love him more than any other writer in Scripture. And it’s not so much him as a person, just his words, his faith. I suppose those are things that make him, him, so yeah I guess it’s him I like. LOL. I am very partial to Johannine literature and I was reading in 1 John 3 and I got to verse 6 and I’ve been meditating on this all morning!  “No one who abides in Him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen Him or known Him.”

For years I’ve been saying how convicted I am with my life, because if I really knew Jesus and I really encountered Him when I meet with Him my life would look different! I’d be transformed! I wouldn’t cling to habitual sin like I do! This passage just hits my heart like none other. I know, and YOU know were not called to perfection or to be completely without sin. Only God is, and that’s not what we’re meant to be. However, I have struggled with habitual sin for years now and I get the sneaky suspicion that when He said “it is finished” He meant it for you and me, about ALL sin, not some sin, or most sin, but ALL sin!

How do we die to ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him? [Mark 8:34] by doing exactly what this verse says! We must abide in Him if we want to see sin put to death in us! It reminds me of coming home, after being away for a while. The saying, “there’s no place like home” is true. Long before a little braided girl in ruby slippers clicked her heels three times, the Lord had already put eternity in the hearts of men. He created us to have a longing for Him, a craving and yearning that only His Spirit could fill. Until we reach the heavenly throne room where we stand before our King, our homes are meant to be in Him now. We are made to abide in our abode, Jesus Christ. How do you know Him and what He wants of your life, unless you encounter Him and obey Him?

We can’t put to death the sins we chose to abide in, instead of Him, unless we’re willing to let Him kill them. His Spirit empowers us to conquer, but do not be mistaken, even though we’re to be victorious over sin, we don’t do it on our own power, thus my friend’s observation of me being too hard on myself was so true and convicting. I get stressed and weary when I go at it on my own strength, when I think “I should be better by now! I should have changed this a long time ago! I know better!”

And my King says, I should worry about nothing, and consider the lilies and the sparrows, cause they neither toil nor work, yet He takes care of them. In fact He even says, I am worth more than many sparrows. That I am to neither fear, nor worry, because He’s got this. “Why even the hairs on your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.” –Luke 12:7…. SIGH… Not even the best lover could know you so intimately!

He knows me. He knows you. And even when we know better, in the face of sin, our Daddy’s got this! He took it so I wouldn’t have to burden myself with it. So I wouldn’t have to strive so hard to defeat it on my own power and will. What an amazing God we serve! I’m called to abide in Him, to keep me from sin, to meditate on Him, to make Him my all, my hopes, my dreams, my everything, and He’s got the rest. I can’t wait to see Him and have those deep convos we gals like to have with our guy. Where you sit for hours and time flies and you learn more and more about him.

Only in this situation, He’ll already know every deep and intimate detail, and He’ll listen as you speak it and He’ll care deeply about it! I wonder if He’ll have an answer when I ask Him if He has to recount the hairs on my head, when I pluck those two stubborn white hairs that grow on my left side. I’m sure He will! He knows me better than I do, and surprisingly, loves me anyway!

I am loved. You are loved. We are loved, by the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords. Hears every prayer, every need, every care of this world, and still makes time to encounter a broken girl reaching for the hem of His cloak.

WHAT A MIGHTY KING!

   
 

  


Listening to Phil Wickham’s "Mystery"… SUCH A GREAT SONG!!! Makes me miss you Charlene. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment